[petsc-dev] Deprecated MPI functions

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed May 20 07:54:05 CDT 2015

>   I have no problem with someone making a branch that goes through the
>   code and replaces all deprecated versions with their replacements
>   and then submits it to the code review process (which, of course,
>   means putting the code in next and then putting it into master
>   :-)). I don't have any particular interest in doing this
>   non-productive work myself.

We've had MPI_Type_create_resized (an MPI-2 feature) in 'next' for a
couple months now and to my knowledge, the only complaints have been
From the MPICH1 test.  Meanwhile, building with current Open MPI spews
deprecation warnings.  I'd be happy to make a branch that upgrades
everything to MPI-2.0 (upgrading MPIUNI is probably the most involved
part).  It actually allows removal of lots of #ifdefs and workarounds --
MPI_IN_PLACE is always defined, the type handling in SF is always valid,
MPI_Init_thread is always available, and the window code in vpscat.c is
always okay, etc.