[petsc-dev] Adding VecErrorNormWRMS()

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri May 1 10:54:14 CDT 2015

"Abhyankar, Shrirang G." <abhyshr at anl.gov> writes:

> I¹ll take the IS stuff out and update the TSSetTolerances() manpage to
> state how one can set the error controller to work only with differential
> variables. Is that ok?

Fine with me.

>>I think we can remove it but we need to let the users know they need to
>>set up ts_?tol accordingly - perhaps in TSSetTolerances(). I liked IS
>>because it was explicit for the users, but I agree it's probably an
>>unnecessary overhead.

I don't really care about memory or time, but I care about having more
concepts, more ways to do the same thing (with no preference for one
over another), and more code to maintain (and for new developers to
learn about).

>>The other reason I liked it -- that probably has an obvious workaround
>>which eludes me at the moment -- was that one can control the diff var
>>tolerance from the command line (specify the scalar tol) because one
>>cannot control individual components from the command line, right?

*If* the DAE distinguishes algebraic and differential variables, we can
have a command-line option that sets the corresponding entries of
vatol[] to +Infinity.