[petsc-dev] MatCreateVecs interface

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 26 11:27:47 CDT 2015

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 7:28 AM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I merged the fix for MatCreateVecs into next
>
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/248f4e93fc838f918a85fe2b6cf6cc3494943f33
>
> If we agree on MatGetDefaultVecType, I will create a new branch for it
> Maybe we don’t need a new function, but just store the default vec type into Mat (defaulting to VECSTANDARD) and then have MPICUSP and others override the default when their are instantiated. What do you think?

   Better to have a Set and Get because one must free the old string and PetscStrallocpy() the new string and if each mat type is doing this manually likely someone will forget the free or cut and paste wrong.

  Barry

> Stefano
>
> On Jun 25, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes. With this approach, only MatNest will need a specialized getvecs operation and we can get rid of the others.

>>>  What do you mean by "the type of Vec in the interface"?   Do you mean have a method such as
>>>
>>> MatGetDefaultVecType(mat,const VecType *vtype);
>>>
>>> that defines the default vector type compatible with the matrix?  So we could have
>>>
>>> #undef __FUNCT__
>>> #define __FUNCT__ "MatCreateVecs_Default"
>>> PetscErrorCode  MatCreateVecs_Default(Mat mat,Vec *right,Vec *left)
>>> {
>>> PetscErrorCode ierr;
>>> PetscInt rbs,cbs;
>>> const VecType vtype;
>>>
>>> PetscFunctionBegin;
>>> ierr = MatGetDefaultVecType(mat,&vtype);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = MatGetBlockSizes(mat,&rbs,&cbs);CHKERRQ(ierr);