[petsc-dev] Missing Fortran interfaces

John O'Sullivan jp.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 14 03:17:43 CDT 2015

Hi all,

Yes the standard versions of TOUGH2 are well know for getting stuck iterating on phase changes. However by being extremely carefully about the continuity of the fluid properties we have largely overcome this problem. The code still iterates but once the time step is reduced sufficiently, the block changes phase correctly and the time step immediately returns up to its previous level.

And yes we also see the phase changes occurring over volumes including large number of blocks in our 3D simulations. But one of the advantages of using the adaptive timestepping to do the phase change iterating is that all the blocks are essentially being iterated at the same time. By the time the time step is small enough for the most problematic block to change phase, all the other blocks have successfully changed phase.

To be honest though, while we run large simulations from a geothermal reservoir model point of view, they're quite small compared to other applications (max ~200k blocks). This is because the parallel version of TOUGH2 was never really finished properly except for the nuclear storage application. So while our simulations contain a wide range of block sizes, including some quite small ones, they're not true multi-scale simulations.

That's why we're working on a Petsc code capable of the same sorts of simulations.

I'm optimistic that our adapted TOUGH2 phase change algorithm will work for much larger simulations also long as we're careful about the implementation.

Cheers
John

--
Dr John O'Sullivan