[petsc-dev] Adding support memkind allocators in PETSc

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jun 3 21:58:48 CDT 2015

Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> writes:
> The beauty of git/github is one can make branches to try out anything
> they want even if Jed thinks that he knows better than Intel how to
> write system software for Intel's hardware.

I'm objecting to the interface.  I think that if they try to get memkind
merged into the existing libnuma project, they'll see similar
resistance.  It is essential for low-level interfaces to create
foundations that can be reliably built upon, not gushing wounds that
bleed complexity into everything built on top.

> This link is equivalent to pushing the "Fork" button on Github's
> memkind page: https://github.com/memkind/memkind#fork-destination-box.
> I'm sure that the memkind developers would be willing to review your
> pull request once you've implemented memkind_move_pages().

1. I cannot test it because I don't have access to the hardware.

2. I think memkind is solving the wrong problem in the wrong way.

3. According to Richard, the mature move_pages(2) interface has been
implemented.  That's what I wanted, so I'll just use that -- memkind
dependency gone.