[petsc-dev] prefix install and module file

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 14 11:21:12 CST 2015

   Damn!  It is because setup.py cheats!  It does not set --prefix in the ./configure stage instead it provides this information only in the install stage and passes the --prefix to PETSc's install.py and hopes that PETSc will behavior properly.

   PETSc is organized around the ./configure --prefix  ; make ; make install model we don't have true support for pass the prefix only at the install time. It looks like Python distutils setup.py is based on only knowing the --prefix info at install time?

   Damn, damn, damn  I don't know what to do. It is the clash of two "community standards" incompatibility?

   Barry