[petsc-dev] Sean is going to love this

Geoff Oxberry goxberry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:25:42 CST 2015

On Jan 1, 2015 8:46 PM, "Sean Farley" <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jed Brown writes:
>
> > Geoff Oxberry <goxberry at gmail.com> writes:
> >> Brew bottles were originally only used in situations where building
from
> >> source would take a long time, and under the assumption that most
users are
> >> interested in a "standard" build without any command-line options.
> >
> > The dependency model assumes that flags do not change the binary
> > interface.  This relates to the two things hard in Computer Science:
> > cache invalidation and naming things.  I think Homebrew is refusing to
> > acknowledge that different binary interfaces need different "names".
>
> This is one of the major issues I had with homebrew.

Sean, I'm confused: doesn't MacPorts do something similar with portfiles
and variants? If a user wishes to install a variant for which a binary is
unavailable, that port variant is then built from source, correct?
(Assuming the MacPorts configuration is set up accordingly, per
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/BinaryArchives)