[petsc-dev] [Ideas-team] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 27 10:58:20 CST 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Todd Gamblin wrote:

> >Also I think such usage at LC centers might be prohibited.  And some
> >systems are configured in such a way that /tmp is really not useful
> >for source builds. [For eg - configure tends to do simpile runs - that
> >get blocked due to security settings on /tmp]
>
> Why would it be prohibited?  Especially if you remove the build after it's
> done?  What's a "simple run" and why do the security settings prohibit it?

I meant - "when configure creates and runs binaries - as part of configure step in /tmp".

This is very rare -we might have seen 1 or 2 reports in past many
years [PETSc configure creates binaries in $TMPDIR and runs them] - so
not a real stumbling block.

However even if package builds are done in /tmp (a big improvement) -
most user code builds are not done in /tmp - so they will (repeatedly)
incur the nfs/pfs etc.. overhead.

Satish