[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 20:20:27 CST 2015

  Thanks. The make time is totally absurd compared to what we get on other systems and the break down between user, sys and nothing is interesting.

  Do you know where /tmp is on the system? Presumably it is fast?

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 8:08 PM, Nathan Collier <nathaniel.collier at gmail.com> wrote:
> No packages / master
> [nate at titan] time python no_packages.py
> real	14m32.169s
> user	1m51.527s
> sys	3m40.734s
>
> [nate at titan] time make all
> real	15m56.004s
> user	8m8.971s
> sys	52m42.734s

   Here is what I have so far
                    configure time    make time     Total      compilers     filesystem

Titan                 14m32s         15m56s                                 Intel 14    /lustre/atlas1/geo103/proj-shared/

Mira                   "7m"            "2m"                     IBM        /gpfs/mira-home/

Hopper

Linux laptop                                                    Gnu

Apple laptop         1m14s             54s         2m8s         clang         compile and compiler local

Linux workstation    1m11s             22s         1m33s        Gnu        compile and compiler local
                     1m37s             29s         2m6s         Gnu         compile directory local; compiler directory remote
                     3m11s             25s         3m36s       Intel 13     compile directory local; compiler directory remote