[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 18:35:13 CST 2015

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 6:26 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>  Sure it will be 2 minutes on the laptop and 7 minutes on the big
>>  system but as I said in my other email that is acceptable and no one
>>  will listen too us (for good reason) if we bitch about it. It is
>>  when it is 4 minutes on the laptop for configure and build and 1
>>  hour on the big machine for configure and build that we have the
>>  right to scream and yell.
>
> Yeah, that Mira time is pretty good, though the login nodes are a
> different architecture from the compute nodes (POWER vs BG/Q) so one
> would typically use batch, in which case configuring goes up to 20-30
> minutes of human time.

  We could have a script that runs configure; submits the result to queue; gets result from queue; runs the new configure then runs make. Assuming an instant queue turn around and that both configures take the same amount of time it means the configure is 14m; not great but still hard to bitch about too much.