[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 17:34:54 CST 2015

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 5:26 PM, Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 26, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> --------------
>> Laptop build: MAKE_NP = 4
>> --------------
>> $ time ./configure --download-hypre --download-metis --download-parmetis --download-superlu_dist --download-fblaslapack --with-debugging=0 --with-c2html=0 PETSC_ARCH=arch-test COPTFLAGS="-O3 -fast" FOPTFLAGS="-O3 -fast" CXXOPTFLAGS="-O3 -fast"
>> <snip>
>> real    3m56.755s
>> user    2m47.458s
>> sys     0m57.206s
>
> 3 minutes !? Wow.
>
> real    15m19.935s

  You could also try with master which compiles the external packages with parallel make. May be much faster.

> user    8m46.586s
> sys     3m8.955s
>
> I think unpacking those big tar balls is bad on lustre.

   Could you download the tarballs then untar them into the externalpackages subdirectory before running the configure to avoid that process?
But you should still delete totally the $PETSC_ARCH directory before doing this, then manually add the externalpackage subdirectory and unpack the tarballs in there before running the configure (otherwise if you don't completely remove the entire $PETSC_ARCH directory it will likely skip some work).

  Barry