[petsc-dev] TSSolve web page JED and EMIL READ THIS!

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 8 20:05:44 CST 2015

> On Feb 8, 2015, at 7:48 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   Why would a user want to do TSStep() instead of calling TSSolve()?
>
> The user is stepping a funky system, liked mixed particle-field, and
> prefer to roll a loop instead of inject all their logic into a bunch of
> callbacks.

   Why can't TS handle that? Users always prefer to use the lowest level thing available, that doesn't mean it is right.

   In the language of TS what does a "funky system, liked mixed particle-field," mean, does it require a little more API on our side? I'm much rather have Emil and Jed control the time-stepping then some ignorant user.