[petsc-dev] not everything belongs in PETSc; thread/task management etc

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Sep 27 00:45:39 CDT 2014

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> My questions would be:
>
>  - does it help development if it is independent
>
>  - does it help adoption if it is independent
>
> I am not sure the answer to either of these is yes.

We have to interoperate "easily" with other systems regardless.  If it's
independent, I think it's a tough case to put context into MPI_Comm
attributes because many other projects don't like to depend on MPI so
deeply.  Otherwise, I don't think that being part of PETSc makes
anything easier except for consistency of the build process.