[petsc-dev] installing external packages as shared?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Sep 8 17:32:04 CDT 2014

>   3) A simple and dependable way to install many dependencies of PETSc
>   :-) and other HPC numerical software libraries

If it's a general way to install software, then why does it depend on
PETSc?  PETSc and PETSC_ARCH are currently an integral part of the way
this is distributed, but would the role you envision make sense if PETSc
was not the center of the universe?

Why can't one add packages (especially those that can be --download'ed,
but on which PETSc does not depend) without reconfiguring PETSc?