[petsc-dev] configure default to --with-etags=0 ?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 8 15:23:11 CDT 2014

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 8 September 2014 22:10, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > etags takes a long time on most machines. Should we default to
> > --with-etags=0?
> >

> You have a point, it took 16 seconds in my HDD Linux desktop, but 32
> in my SSD Mac laptop.

This machine has ssd-raid - but still takes a long time..

balay at es^/scratch/balay/petsc(maint) $ date;make alletags; date
Mon Sep  8 15:12:42 CDT 2014
Mon Sep  8 15:14:49 CDT 2014

> BTW, I would argue that you could also add --with-c2html=0 (I've had
> configure issues in machines missing flex devel packages), though in
> this case there is not "make something" to make it work after
> configure.

I don't remember why this was enabled by default [for git repo users]
- but I think it should be disabled aswell..

Satish