[petsc-dev] ccache sucks!

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 6 22:36:59 CDT 2014

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Satish Balay wrote:

> > https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/CCacheMac says use:

> It appears there were no ccache releases in the past 20 months.
> [something to check is if latest git also requries -Qunused-arguments or not]

Ok - tried this out from homebrew [using the sugestion from above URL: brew install --HEAD ccache]

The PETSc build ran fine without -Qunused-arguments

balay at imav^~/junk $ which gcc
/Users/balay/bin/gcc
balay at imav^~/junk $ ls -l /Users/balay/bin/gcc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 balay  staff  24 Sep  6 22:24 /Users/balay/bin/gcc@ -> /opt/homebrew/bin/ccache
balay at imav^~/junk $ gcc sizeof.c
balay at imav^~/junk $ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0
Thread model: posix
balay at imav^~/junk $
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And interestingly:
balay at imav^~ $ ccache -s
<snip>
max cache size                       5.0 GB

Its currently '1GB' on my linux box. [so either homebrew or
'ccache.git' is using the higher limit]. I've now set this higher
limit on my linux box..

$ ccache -M 5G
Set cache size limit to 5.0 Gbytes

Satish