[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 4 11:23:50 CDT 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> We have way bigger problems if people are skipping (1).  Branches need
> to be reviewed before merging.

This reminds me - is there a way to disable 'merge' button on the pull
request page? That basically skips the whole workflow..

My view is - pull request workflow is same as feature-branch workflow
with one of the itegrators takes ownership for it. [how does one take
ownership?]

- create a local branch for the pull request.
- merge it to next for testing
- when satisfied - merge to master [or maint - whichever is appropriate]

The 'merge' button on the pull request looks attractive.
- lets us skips creating a local branch for it
- lets us skip merging locally and rely on merging remotely.

But this skips the whole workflow of testing.. Yeah some of
us are recommeding a pull request to 'next' - but I think thats
still broken. [it shortcuts the merge to next - but one still
has to create a local branch to merge to master].

And I suspect this is seen as encouraging feature branchs should start
off next..

So I think its best to remove the 'merge' button [if we can]. And
never use it. And not recommend pull request to 'next'. They should
only be to 'master' or 'maint' [bitbucket should not even offer any
other branch for a pull request..]

Satish