[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 4 10:33:11 CDT 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > And when folks hardly look at git messages - I don't thinks they will notice
> > this message burried in middle of a build. [And most of the time merge/push
> > is done without a build].
>
> That would be naughty.

sorry - I should have said something like:

The workflow is:

(1). verify what you are merging
git checkout master
git log ..branch
git diff ..branch
(2). merge the branch
git merge
(3). Build and make sure it builds
./configure && make all test
(4). Now push to remote
git push

So the issue comes up when:

(1) verify is not done and (2) merge messages are not read.

And the fix relies on doing (3) build & reading messages.

To me this is not really a fix [i.e fix for skipping a step to do
another step. fix for not reading a message to to read another
message]

Obviously everyone wants (1) and (3) to be automated - but we
currently don't have that..

Satish