[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Tobin Isaac tisaac at ices.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 4 00:56:17 CDT 2014

> My personal opinion is that maintaining a catalog of undesirable commits
> and detection/enforcement logic is not the best use of maintainer time
> and will not result in a more efficient system.  But if you want to
> spend your time on it, give it a shot and maybe others will use it too.

Funny you should say that.

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/a04f2a265ee1457256d59a436256ddce6a927374
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/7a9516f4bcf47790ec9d70380d83bb015f0d3e8e

My idea here is (a) create a dotfile in a commit that only gets merged
into next, and (b) add a hook to 'make info' that warns you if that
file is present and your branch isn't named 'next'.  This change
doesn't help a maintainer, who knows the workflow and can spot
undesirable commits better than a script, but it does reach out to
developers who, ehm, may not have read the wiki, and warns them as
soon as they start to test their changes on a branch that was based on
'next'.

   Toby