[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 3 14:03:22 CDT 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> > Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> > > These are ridiculous strawmen. Git is a tool for managing source code,
> > and
> > > we are asking for a very simple and sensible source code management rule.
> > > It is truly simple, apart from devising an implementation in Git.
> >
> > My point is that it's not that simple to define precisely within Git's
> > relatively simple data model.  Barry suggests that Git should be made
> > more complicated so that it can enforce various workflow policies, but I
> > don't think that complexity is justified and I think it would cause
> > other problems (like security vulnerabilities and extra constraints when
> > manipulating branches).
> >

> You are saying:
>
>   - This is a sensible policy
>
>   - It would improve our workflow
>
> but
>
>   - Automating it is too hard, so people should do it by hand
>
> You come to this conclusion because
>
>   - It is hard to do in Git, as currently conceived
>
> It is not a stretch to call this a cop out. I would seriously question the
> legitimacy of a model
> which cannot do this very simple and useful thing.

I might be misunderstanding things - but I think git branches are nothing but
tags. This feature enables the current git workflows.

On the other hand - mercurial branches are more substantial branches -
[so perhaps use branch names as distinct items and enforce such
rules?]  but then one cannot use git workflows here?

BTW: Why are there new branches off next?

Satish