[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Sep 3 13:51:04 CDT 2014

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> These are ridiculous strawmen. Git is a tool for managing source code, and
> we are asking for a very simple and sensible source code management rule.
> It is truly simple, apart from devising an implementation in Git.

My point is that it's not that simple to define precisely within Git's
relatively simple data model.  Barry suggests that Git should be made
more complicated so that it can enforce various workflow policies, but I
don't think that complexity is justified and I think it would cause
other problems (like security vulnerabilities and extra constraints when
manipulating branches).