[petsc-dev] merging PETSc and BuildSystem packages

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 11:50:48 CDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Can we “merge” the BuildSystem and PETSc package.py and put all the
> packages/*.py together in one place?  It seems arbitrary in which each
> package is and having these differences make enhancing and simplifying the
> system difficult.
>
>    Here specifically is what I propose.
>
> 1) Introduce a CMakePackage much like GNUPackage for packages that use
> CMake
>
> 2) “Fix” all the BuildSystem/config/packages/*.py to modern standards
> using GNUPackage and CMakePackage when possible. This would include adding
> MPICH.py and OpenMPI.py to handle those installs.
>
> 3) Move the PETSc/packages/*.py one at a time over to the
> config/packages.py location, updating to follow modern standards and use
> GNUPackage or CMakePackage as needed.

The barrier here has always been the assumptions made about types. The
PETSc package knows whether it is begin compiled
for "single". I don't think even PETSc wants this in the long term since
eventually we have to have a multiprecision interface, however
imperfect. Jed is peppering the Elemental list with this kind of thing
right now.

   Matt