[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Sep 2 08:57:29 CDT 2014

Tobin Isaac <tisaac at ices.utexas.edu> writes:
>> Matt and Toby: 'tisaac/thplex' needs to be rebased onto 'master' before
>> we can accept it.  Matt, please remember to look at what you are
>> merging.  When the commit message says you are merging hundreds of
>> commits, but you didn't review hundreds of commits, it should be a sign
>> that something is amiss.
>
> Matt, do you want me to handle this?

I'm perusing history with

  gitk master..tisaac/thplex     # includes recent merge of 'tisaac/dm-dim-embed-auto' with recent stuff from 'next'
  gitk master..tisaac/thplex^^   # much cleaner, but still based on 'next'

I would probably fix by creating a new branch and cherry-picking the
ranges of clean commits starting from the oldest commits in your branch.