[petsc-dev] SF broken in master !

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 15 07:16:36 CDT 2014

On Oct 15, 2014, at 5:24 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>

> Git should make it easier to just push this back onto the branch so that
> it cannot be forgotten.

   You are trying to make git a ""do what I mean” language instead of a "pain in the butt language” :-)

   You are right that too often git makes the “correct” way to do something too involved so people skip it. When you see the typo Jed expects you to
1) back out of what you are doing (which means remembering how to get back to the state before you started the merge)
2) change the branch,
3) make a commit of the branch
4) do the merge again

  This is cumbersome and annoying when all that is needed is for you to be able to announce that you want your change to belong to the branch and git could do the rest but instead you, the human, is suppose to do the manual error prone process of backing out and redoing when that is something a computer can do trivially. This happens many places in git.