[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] petsc git next branch *is* unwound!

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 10 22:54:26 CDT 2014

I believe the workflow used by petsc is same as what most projects
with git do - so there is nothing special about it.

Try 'man gitworkflows'

I think your reason for using next is flawed (you get more bugs than
bugfixes on next - as its an integration branch - and features are
merged here for testing purposes). But if thats what you want to do -
thats fine. We can benift with the extra testing that you are now
providing on next. And I believe git gives you tools to manage
whatever workflow you choose.

Generally we don't branch off next. New branches are created from
master (or maint). This works well for new features workflow (or bug
fix workflow).

In your case - you'd like to maintain 'wdn_mods_next' branch - which
is 'next' + local fixes that are specific to next (and not shared
across other branches - like master). And these fixes are next
specific - hence you want this branch to start off next. Presumably
this is low over head stuff - and don't need permanant history for
this (as we usually do with feature branches)

For the above requirement - currently you do:

a. branch wdn_mods_next from next
b. add local commits in this branch
c. merge latest next into wdn_mods_next. (as needed)

Alternative is to use 'git rebase' to manage your local commits.  This
is not critical - but it lets you keep track of them more sanely.

<rebase local commits over latest next>
git checkout next
git pull
git checkout wdn_mods_next
git rebase next

[also check 'git rebase -i']

In the present situation - when next is unwound - you have to unwind
and recreate wdn_mods_next. For this you'd like to extract your
current modifications from wdn_mods_next - and apply to a new
wdn_mods_next branch.

<First step is to backup current wdn_mods_next. i.e:>
git checkout wdn_mods_next
git checkout -b wdn_mods_next-oct-2014

<Now reset wdn_mods_next to current next>
git checkout wdn_mods_next
git reset --hard next # assuming you've already reset 'next' to latest

<check previous local modifications>
git log origin/next-oct-2014..wdn_mods_next-oct-2014
git diff origin/next-oct-2014..wdn_mods_next-oct-2014

Now you can 'git cherrypick' the commits you need [from the above
list] or grab the above diff - and apply to dn_mods_next(new) branch. for eg:

git diff origin/next-oct-2014..wdn_mods_next-oct-2014 > my_changes
patch -Np1 < my_changes
<resolve patch conflicts manually>
git commit

Satish