[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] petsc git next branch *is* unwound!

Nystrom, William David wdn at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 2 11:57:56 CDT 2014

On my local machine I have my master, bare git repo with the following config file
which Jed suggested a year or so ago:

% cat config
[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = true
        sharedrepository = 1
[receive]
        denyNonFastforwards = true
[remote "origin"]
        url = https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc
        fetch = +refs/heads/maint:refs/heads/maint
        fetch = +refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master
        fetch = +refs/heads/next:refs/heads/next
[remote "artab"]
        url = ssh://ml-fey.lanl.gov/usr/projects/artab/users/wdn/repos/git/petsc
        fetch = +refs/*:refs/*
        mirror = true

And for my workflow, I stay in sync with the official PETSc git repo by periodically
executing the following command:

git remote -v update origin

And then I have various git clones from my master git repo where I do actual
work.

Do I need to do anything special now that the "next" branch has been unwound
with either my master git repo or my git clones?  In my master git repo, I have
3 additional branches - wdn_mods_next, wdn_mods_master and wdn_mods_maint
where I keep any of my own modifications to those respective branches.  And I
keep wdn_mods_next in sync with next by periodically executing the following
commands in a git clone with the wdn_mods_next branch checked out:

git pull origin next

resolve any conflicts and commit

git push origin wdn_mods_next:wdn_mods_next

So, if I do the following set of steps, should I expect them to work now that next
has been unwound?

1. cd to my master bare petsc repo
    git remote -v update origin

2. cd to my git clone of petsc with wdn_mods_next branch checked out
    git pull origin next
    resolve any conflicts and commit
    git push origin wdn_mods_next:wdn_mods_next

Thanks,

Dave

--
Dave Nystrom