[petsc-dev] does next model mess up our histories

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 2 07:55:35 CDT 2014

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Barry Smith wrote:

> > I guess another alternative for these veryfew feature branches
> > that need to iterate over nightlytest suites is:
> >
> > - never merge feature branch to next untile its complete
>
>    This is silly. I lose all the portability testing that next provides and would never be able to merge into next because I know things will be broken.

No - you would get the protability test as indicated by the second
bullet listed below. This first requirement is to satisfy Jeds
criteria - never rebase after merge to next.

>    Yupp definitely something wrong with our current model. Seems to me we should just restart next from master every few days.

We are long overdue for a next restart. I go ahead and do that - and
leave the re-merge of feature branches to individual owners.

But I still think its ok to undo merges in next if for whatever reason
you need to rebase [but rebase has to be done as required]

I disagree on 'reset next' every few days as a fix to this problem. I suspect
Jed will have a different objection for this reset..

Satish