[petsc-dev] automatically updated git sample repositories

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu May 22 21:27:13 CDT 2014

>     We want our users to us a revision control system, we’d like them to have it at some publicly available place. We should make the process for them to do this as trivial as possible. I suggest the following
>
> 1) we select 2 linear examples, 2 nonlinear examples and 2 TS examples (structured grid and unstructured grid) from our suite as prototypical examples for users to start with
> 2) have a git repository for each (named 3.5-sample-linear-structured for example) which contains the source file(s) and the simplest makefile
> 3) we make the actual source in these examples to be identical to examples in petsc-maint (and another set with petsc-master) through some of Jed’s git magic.

We can do this with git subtree split.  If we only ever edit these via
the PETSc repository, it can be completely automated (because there will
never be a merge conflict).

> We then tell people the first step for them is
>
> 1) make a bitbucket account
> 2) clone the appropriate example repository from petsc into their bitbucket account
> 3) clone from their bitbucket repository to their machine and start work
>
> if they do this and have code questions we can trivially pull their repository and futze with it ourselves rather than badly emailed source code etc.

Good, but they have to set public permissions for us to do that.

> What suggestions do you all have to improve on this idea?  Unless someone proves this is a bad idea let’s do this before the next release.

Those should probably be placed in $PETSC_DIR/examples/.  I think we
only want one example of each (otherwise it's confusing).  Don't know
what to do about structured vs. unstructured.