[petsc-dev] sizeof(PetscInt) from buildsystem

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue May 6 09:12:20 CDT 2014

r<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
"Garth N. Wells" <gnw20 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Not ideal, and I guess it's not platform-independent, i.e. Windows.
>
> I could build a trivial program that printfs sizeof(PetscInt), but my
> first preference would be to extend our current approach using make and
> petscvariables.

Is make running on windows without grep?

We try to avoid duplicating information because some people (and
vendors) insist on editing files produced by configure.  If information
resides in more than one place (e.g., a makefile and petscconf.h), they
will invariably change the files inconsistently and then email us when
something breaks.  They will start by sending no files, then send the
unmodified file, and only after extensive coaxing, send the modified
file.  Meanwhile, they will have "forgotten" that they modified any
files and insist that something must be wrong with configure.  When
asked to reproduce, they will use a different machine/environment and so
on.

Anyway, I'd rather not duplicate this information.