[petsc-dev] Deprecated MPI functions

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Mar 17 04:12:00 CDT 2014

Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> writes:
> Why not just use a configure test for MPI_VERSION to #define
> PETSC_MPI_VERSION,

Could just use MPI_VERSION.

> and then if PETSC_MPI_VERSION<2 #definine the new functions as the old
> ones? Do you expect a MPI implementation advertising itself as MPI-2
> but not providing the new functions for attribute access?

Some implementations provided some or all of the new functions before
advertising themselves as MPI_VERSION=2.  There are probably others that
advertise as MPI_VERSION=2 but are incomplete, though they're not
supposed to do this.

>> [1] Something is wrong with the process when 17 years after a
>> standardization that involved the relevant vendors, we still cannot rely
>> on systems having upgraded.
>
> I totally agree. One way of make pressure for the upgrades is to just
> stop supporting them :-), of making the support more difficult to get.

Yes, but for the same reason that PETSc works with a 10-year old Python
and a C compiler that has been abandoned for 15 years (MS), we have
historically tried to work with very old/obscure MPI implementations.