[petsc-dev] test suite questions

Dominic Meiser dmeiser at txcorp.com
Thu Jul 24 10:56:47 CDT 2014

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding usage of the PETSc test suite. Some of
the questions are related to issues discussed in this thread
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/petsc-dev/2013-January/010765.html.

1) Currently I manually set the DATAFILESPATH environment variable. Is
this how I'm supposed to do this or is this handled differently by the
test suite?

2) In the above thread the issue of size of the test suite was brought
up with the time it takes to run `make alltest` being a concern. While
working on bug fixes my workflow tends to be: Find a test case that
demonstrates the bug (usually run an existing test with different
command line options); fix the bug; move on to next related bug. This
can produce several test cases that sometimes overlap in substantial
ways. For instance a bug might be present in serial and parallel. With
my workflow I would end up with a serial and a parallel test. While this
has the advantage of making it easier to narrow down a failure it has
the disadvantage of `make alltest` taking longer. How should I balance
these two aspects?

3) What is your workflow for examining test results? Do you scan test
results manually? Or is it mostly sufficient to only pay attention to
build failures and crashes?

4) Clearly it would be desirable to have tests where we can
automatically (without manual inspection) decide if the test passes or
fails. This was also discussed in the above thread. Perhaps it should be
a requirement that new tests are written in such a way that failure
detection can be done automatically? Typically these tests will then be
less suitable as examples for getting started and they should go into
the test rather than tutorial directories. Clearly scientific computing
has additional challenges compared to unit testing in "normal" software
engineering when it comes to automatically detecting test failure. Some
of the techniques we use at Tech-X include:
- hdfdiff (similar to exodiff)
- ndiff (diffing with atol and rtol for plain text)
- Decide in the driver program whether a test has passed or failed.
The last option is the most flexible. For instance one could have logic
like the following (very schematically):
if (numIters > 10 && numIters < 15 && residual < 1.0e-9) {
     printf("SUCCESS\n");
} else {
     printf("FAILURE\n");
}
Combined with a disciplined approach for the output of a test it's
possible to write strong tests with a much lower likelihood of false
positives. If a quantity is overly sensitive to valid code or
configuration modifications then don't print it. Obviously this is much
easier to do if a test does not have the dual purpose of a tutorial.

Thanks,
Dominic

--
Dominic Meiser