[petsc-dev] detecting the wrong mpi.h

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 12 08:29:05 CDT 2014

Yes, with MPI-3 there is even a portable (sort of) way to do this.

The MPI-3 function MPI_Get_library_version gives you a string describing the library.  You can check this if you want exact correspondence to the one that you found at configure time.  This routine can be called without calling MPI_Init.  There are implementation-specific definitions that you could also look for and might allow you to check for compatible version - MPICH now keeps track of binary compatibility, so there is an MPICH ABI version value that can be checked if you found an MPICH version.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign