[petsc-dev] Handling plugins

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 29 20:10:46 CST 2014

On Jan 29, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> 3. src/xxx/interface/xxxdyn.c
>
>   The functions are going in the common interface header,

     This is only true sometimes. For example

      petscdm*.h for different kinds of dms,

      petscviewerhdf5.h      - this and the next one are because you need the underlying package to access some of the APIs

      petscviewersaws.h

     petscsnesfas.h           - this should probably be put in petscsnes.h  ???

      petscpcasa.h             - I vote we completely delete the ASA stuff, it ain’t used and must be largely broken  ???

> so why not
>   put their definitions in the directory with all the other definitions
>   from that header?

   It is kind of weird to have “plugin” code directly in the same files as non-plugin code. You kind of think of plugin code as a chunk of something that you just drop in some place and then use. Having it just sitting in the same include file is strange.

  Barry

Request-assigned: Barry,Jed,Peter  merge petscsnesfas.h into petscsnes.h and remove PCASA?