[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 29 06:26:35 CST 2014

Geoff Oxberry <goxberry at gmail.com> writes:
> I can answer some Homebrew questions. I typically skim petsc-dev and
> petsc-users due to my relative PETSc inexperience, and only read a few
> posts here and there. If someone bugs you about it and I miss it, ping me,
> and I'll do my best to help. PETSc is also a package in the
> homebrew-science repo, so I can lean on some of them for help also. I've
> learned to build PETSc from source because the package builds in Linux
> distros and Mac package managers usually lack the external package
> capabilities I want (and they're old versions, too).

For systems with shared libraries, it may be useful to have a way to add
plugins after building PETSc, rather than asking packagers to build
every subset or a maximal subset.  The problem is that functions like
PCHYPRESetType() are made visible to the user and thus become link-time
dependencies.  Is there something *maintainable* we could do to allow
applications to link without the packages?

Functions like the above either do PetscTryMethod or PetscUseMethod so
they don't have a link-time dependency on the implementation
PCHYPRESetType_HYPRE (and thus the external package), but are currently
placed in the file with the external package.  If we moved them
somewhere that was always compiled, we would get rid of the link-time
dependency and then we could add these plugins after installing the
PETSc base system.  It's not a huge amount of code wrangling to move
these functions, but it means that adding a new function necessarily
involves modifying three files (it already involves include/petscyyy.h
and src/yyy/impls/zzz/zzz.c).

We still also need the monolithic mode to keep linking sane on systems
without shared libraries.