[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 18:52:43 CST 2014

balay at mcs.anl.gov writes:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Sean Farley wrote:
>

>> balay at mcs.anl.gov writes:

>> > This is not really a fix - as the 'gmake' error will pop up with petsc
>> > part of the build aswell.
>>
>> False. It works perfectly fine here.
>
> That doesn't mean it woud work for Mark. Previously [a few months
> back] Mark had the same issue - and you've responded that you couldn't
> reproduce it.

>> > I'm not sure how this is causing gmake 'internal' error..
>>
>> It doesn't necessarily mean that gmake is broken but could be something
>> mismatched. I can't tell without the internal logs.
>>
>> Though, I recommend that Mark not use any --download options through
>> petsc because those packages are now in MacPorts and mixing two stacks
>> is just asking for trouble.
>
> So - unless Mark is also using 'macports' install of PETSc - he is
> asking for trouble?

No.

> [otherwise he can easily end up mixing these
> exteranlpackages from macports - and build petsc with native OSX
> compilers - so will end up mixing stack anyway?]

The gmake issue could be a lot of things:

- something weird with mpich's autoconf
- libtool problems
- gmake itself
- path issues

I'll try to reproduce this again to see if it happens on my machine.

Maybe I should just advise not to use --download-*mpi*. Wrapping
compilers is tricky. For example, Mark seems to have upgraded to
Mavericks, yet in his script he is specifying gcc/g++ which is no longer
distributed with Xcode.

For my own work, I install the Apple clang + gfortran 4.8 most of the
time, via

$ sudo port install mpich-default
$ sudo port select --set mpi mpich-mp-fortran

Then try to build PETSc (minus the --download-mpich and CC, CXX, FC
options). You could also try to install most of the external packages:

$ sudo port install hypre ml parmetis metis hdf5-18 netcdf triangle \
superlu superlu_dist mumps

ctetgen and exodusii aren't in MacPorts but (assuming the licenses allow
it) I could add them.