[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jan 28 12:51:37 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> I agree a better package management system [aka macports/homebrew]
> should be preferable. But with all the wierd issues that keep comping
> up with users using macports on petsc lists - I can't convince myself
> that it is a better recommendation.

People either need a reliable way to upgrade or the stack will get out
of date.  Also, system upgrades will be stop-the-world events with
unknown system changes and the only safe thing is to reinstall the
entire stack.  Very few people can remember all the installation quirks
they have gone through, and even then, it takes time to reinstall
everything.

> I would aswell recommend virtualbox with linux as a superior choice.

I recommend

  # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0

and install a decent operating system with a package manager on your
now-impeccably-clean disk.