[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Aron Ahmadia aron at ahmadia.net
Mon Jan 27 22:58:22 CST 2014

Mark,

You don't have any surprises in your configure file.  I'm not surprised
that your MacPorts install broke, we saw pretty terrible breakage across
the Scientific Python community, although I think Homebrew weathered the
update pretty well.

I'd suggest following Sean's instructions so long as you're happy with Mac
Ports.  The most important thing is getting your compiler stack sane, and
unfortunately when you're compiling Fortran on OS X, you're going to have
to deal with a half-crazed stack no matter what you do.  See Geoff's
excellent summary on SciComp for future Fortran compiler options:
http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/2470/9 -- MacPorts is a reasonable
choice here.

HashDist's main purpose is in helping scientists specify a software stack,
then reproduce it elsewhere.  It looks to me like PETSc is actually
satisfying most of your stack, and the only place where you need a little
help from MacPorts is the Fortran compiler, so I think HashDist would be
overkill for your needs here.

Cheers,
Aron