[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:58:18 CST 2014

balay at mcs.anl.gov writes:

> It looks like a libtool issue to me.
>

> grep: /opt/local/lib/liblzma.la: No such file or directory
> /opt/local/bin/gsed: can't read /opt/local/lib/liblzma.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/opt/local/lib/liblzma.la' is not a valid libtool archive
> <<<<<
>
> The macports ticket sean pointed to indicates libtool likes to parse and look for .la files.

Yes, it appears so. Sadly, Barry is right that this is classic Apple. If
Mark is on Mavericks, then MacPorts defaults to removing .la files.

Should this be reported to libtool? Is there a workaround I could push
or at least link to in the ticket?

As discussed in the link below, there is a secret setting
"delete_la_files no" that can be set in
/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf but people (Mark) should be wary
of setting it.

http://mac-os-forge.2317878.n4.nabble.com/delete-la-files-yes-for-Mavericks-td221435.html

After working with MacPorts for so many years, I've learned that the
phrase, "Luckily the use is quite rare, so it shouldn't be too
disruptive," means it will almost certainly break stuff I work with
(i.e. scientific packages).