[petsc-dev] Possible bugs when using TS with ViennaCL

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 27 03:59:41 CST 2014

Hi Mani,

 > I check my solution using -ts_monitor_draw_solution. Ok forget about the
> earlier code and try running the code I have attached now. It is
> basically the same code but using DMComposite to manage multiple
> variables. On using -ts_monitor_draw_solution, you will see two windows
> with blobs being advected. Here's a report for this code:
>
> 1) Everything works if I use ComputeResidual, irrespective of which
> DMSetVecType I use (including VECVIENNACL). Note that in the earlier
> code (without DMComposite) the case with VECVIENNACL doesn't give the
> right answer but lets forget about the earlier code.
>
> 2) Nothing works if I use ComputeResidualVecViennaCL, whatever maybe
> DMSetVecType. Again note that in the earlier code this case works only
> if I set the vec/mat types to VIENNACL.
>
> Getting this code to work will basically solve my problems.

I ran your code, it works for all the scenarios you're described, i.e.
ComputeResidual, ComputeResidualVecViennaCL, different Vec-types, etc.

> P.S I run the code using ./petsc_opencl -ts_monitor -snes_monitor
> -ts_max_steps 1000 -ts_type theta -ts_dt 10 -snes_rtol 1e-4
> -ts_final_time 1000 -ts_monitor_draw_solution

I always get the same output: A nicely moving spot. Please send
configure.log and make.log to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov, maybe something
is wrong with your PETSc build.

Best regards,
Karli