[petsc-dev] DMplex reader / viewers

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 11:50:44 CST 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> writes:
>> Does anybody knows of any open and widespread format supporting
>> elements of order >2? I checked quickly, and according to their
>> documentation it seems that none of exodusii, silo 4.7, or xdmf
>> support them...
>
> No, I looked hard and everyone I know rolled their own, so that's what I
> did (I only needed hexes).
Did you write a whole new format? How about simply extendinf xdmf to add higher order element and send patches supporting these extensions to visit / paraview?

> How important is it to support hanging nodes?  Is 2-1 refinement
> sufficient?
Can hanging nodes be handled through cell sets of various element types?

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA