[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Jan 20 13:53:31 CST 2014

>> Jed's suggestions here would be great for package maintainers. As an
>> added bonus, it'd be great if $prefix/share/petsc-$foo could be be
>> configurable (so that multiple installations could be live
>> side-by-side).
>
>     This would allow multiple copies of the “share” stuff but if the
>     library is in $prefix/lib/libpetsc.dylib how can multiple
>     installations exist side by side?

If we decide that a petsc-config is the canonical way to "find" PETSc,
we could do like Python (python-config, python2-config,
python3.3-config, etc).  Should we install

  $prefix/bin/petsc-${version}-${arch}-config

and symlink $prefix/bin/petsc-config to it by default?

Then always namespace libraries and includes?

I'm not sure what to do on this last point.  I would like to be able to
install multiple versions to the same prefix (especially debug+opt), but
it also seems weird to not support -lpetsc (instead -lpetsc-3.5-mpich-opt).

What do you think?