[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Jan 19 22:35:17 CST 2014

> On Jan 19, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Jed that this is problematic. We will end up fixing
>> false positives with this,
>
>    What do you mean fix false positives? We look for -O, if it is in
>    mpicc or CFLAGS we don’t set our own, how will there be false
>    positives?

Build --with-debugging using MPICH and get optimized everything (because
PETSc doesn't add -O0)?  Note that passing CFLAGS='-O2 -g'
--with-debugging makes sense to debug some things, so flags hidden in
wrapper compilers are semantically different from those passed
explicitly.

>> only it will not be a user error anymore (using CFLAGS instead of
>> COPTFLAGS as indicated in the docs), it will be our error, and it
>> will waste our time looking for it.
>
>    We will keep COPTFLAGS for people who want to use it and keep the
>    documentation as is.

Is it really valuable enough to justify keeping it?  I thought we wanted
exactly one way to do things.

>    Look it is configuration, there is never a perfect answer.

Delete it all!  ;-)

https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/2.1/phk/autocrap.html