[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 19 18:07:09 CST 2014

On Jan 19, 2014, at 5:50 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   User runs
>>
>>     —with-cc=cc CFLAGS=“-m64” —with-debugging=0
>>
>>   gets the same performance as
>>
>>     —with-cc=cc CFLAGS=“-m64” —with-debugging=1
>>
>>    Can’t understand why.
>
> It wouldn't have quite the _same_ performance because of PETSc debugging
> overhead, but point taken.  OTOH, we may be squashing optimization flags
> internal to the wrappers

   Nope because in my previous assignment I asked Satish to check for -O stuff in compiler wrappers as well as CFLAGS.

> and some compilers have funny names for
> optimization flags.

   This is a small possibility because normally there is a -Od as well as the funny named other stuff. If we come upon another funny name that replaces -Od we can incorporate that as well.