[petsc-dev] petsc-dev fails test with debugging=0

Andrea Lani andrea.lani at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:21:48 CST 2014

Dear Devs,

first of all, even after the latest Karl's fix, my GPU-enabled solver
(using PETSc's KSPGMRES and PCASM) still gives a substantially different
residual after one time step in 1 or more GPUs:

+0.72 (1 GPU) against -1.00 (2-8 GPU).

The situtation is even more dramatic for PCBJACOBI: in this case it works
the same on 1 GPU and crashes on more GPUs ( "Null argument, when expecting
valid pointer! [0]PETSC ERROR: Trying to zero at a null pointer!").

The only thing that could be wrong on my side, I think, is the way I
construct the matrix sparsity pattern for the MPIAIJ matrix, as far as I
see, since that is the only difference between a "normal"scenario using
parallel BAIJ matrices (which perfectly works for me on multiple CPUs).

BUT, surprise, if I use PCJACOBI (which is GPU-based as far as I
understood), single and multi-GPU residuals are identical! so I start
doubting that the problem is due to my sparsity pattern. Perhaps there is
something wrong in the PCASM / PCBJACOBI preconditioners when used combined
with the GPU-version of the KSP ... what do you think?

I remind that I create the matrix for the multi-GPU case with:

MatSetType(m_mat, MATMPIAIJCUSP);
MatSetBlockSize(m_mat, blockSize);
MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation(m_mat, dnz, dnnz, onz, onnz);

please confirm if this is right ...

I do have another problem though: if I compile the last petsc-dev master
with  debugging=0 (which is desirable in my case since I'd like to do
benchmarks), the petsc tests fail with the messages in the enclosed text
file. Any idea why this happens. Mind that I'm using openmpi version 1.6.5
(if this matters) and that by just configuring/compiling with debugging
flag = 1, all tests passed with no problem.
I guess this could potentially affect many users ...

Thanks in advance

Andrea

--
Dr. Andrea