[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 18 10:49:07 CST 2014

If the MPI wrapper adds -O, its buggy.  The wrapper should only do what is necessary to get MPI to compile (header and library paths) and nothing else.  If MPICH does more, that is a bug (note that recent autoconf really, really wants to specify -g -O2 for gcc; that doesn't change the fact that it is wrong to do so).

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign