[petsc-dev] adding Report Typo and Errors link to manual pages

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 6 18:48:38 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> One can always derive the readable info from the full hash..
>
> $ git describe 06283fd4323cef45a7147b2226c8e0c084e2
> v3.4.3-2283-g06283fd
>
> For now I'll keep the full hash here. If it needs to be changed - all
> usages can be changed at the same time..

The reason I prefer the "git describe" output is that it provides the
information up-front, so that you can have it in mind while you think
about what might be wrong.  For example, if we see v2.2.1-54321-g01dbad,
we know right off that someone must have copied ancient pages somewhere.
The cost of manual translation is not just the time to perform the
mechanical steps, but also the time spent thinking about the problem
without the benefit of that information.