[petsc-dev] git help needed

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 19 03:36:52 CST 2014

Hi Barry,

 >    I accidentally added and committed in master when I meant to do it
in another branch.

> ~/Src/petsc/src/ts/examples/tutorials  master $ git add ex1s.c
> ~/Src/petsc/src/ts/examples/tutorials  master $ git commit -a
> [master 8bd0fc5] adding SNESPSEUDO solver
>   5 files changed, 449 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>   create mode 100644 src/ts/examples/tutorials/ex1s.c
>
> How do I undo this so I can switch to another branch and do the commits into that?

If you haven't yet pushed this to remote, run
  git reset --soft HEAD^
to only undo the commit. ex1s.c will still include your changes and be
scheduled ('staged') for the next commit. If you want to undo all your
changes including ex1s.c, use
  git reset --hard HEAD^
instead.

Note that once you pushed your commits to the remote, you should not
attempt to change these commits.

Best regards,
Karli