[petsc-dev] Changing Mat block size?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Feb 14 13:42:09 CST 2014

>   blocks are always square.
>
>   If the user wants non-square blocks then they go though the long involved construction process

non-square blocks show up in shell matrices for interpolation and
restriction, which is not exactly a weird application.  I still think
block size is an extraneous concept to most users, thus I don't think
that adding it to all the convenience wrappers is a welcome or
clearly-beneficial change.

What problems would we be inviting by making MatGetBlockSize return
PetscAbs(rmap->bs)?  Obviously there are a number of places where we
access the field directly, but those should use the interface anyway.