[petsc-dev] Better package manager support in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 30 15:54:54 CST 2014

> On Dec 30, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> wrote:
>
> From Sean's list of annoying things:
>
> 1) Non-standard prefix
>
> Yup, this is one of the most annoying things for us right now.

   Tell us what we need to fix.

> 4) Better coordination with dependent packages
>
> This is really work we just need to do at some point and haven't done.
>
> Is anybody building PETSc on Windows or

   It builds with cygwin, with either gnu compilers or commercial compilers but the usual caveats of cygwin being a pain.  Tech-x allegedly is going to provide an installer that plays nicely with Developer Studio any day now for commercial users.

> exotic non-supercomputer devices these days?

  What does this mean? We have an installer for Xcode for iPhone/iPad development. There is actually an iPhone/iPad app that uses PETSc (guess what it is).