[petsc-dev] Sean is going to love this

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Dec 23 19:08:30 CST 2014

>   Sure, but they have to go into a "legal" location. Where would that
>   legal location be? We'd start by putting the data as is in the legal
>   location, then add a bin/petsc-config to process that data (crudely)
>   then refine both the storage of the data and the bin/petsc-config
>   over time.

$libdir/petsc/ if we want to be like libtool and pkgconfig.

$sysconfdir/petsc/ if we think of these as host-specific.

$datadir/petsc/ if we think of them as host-independent (similar to man
pages).

By default:

  libdir = $prefix/lib/
  sysconfdir = $prefix/etc/
  datadir = $prefix/share/

I think we could use any of these without getting in trouble with
package managers.